Thursday 7 January 2016

"I'm going on an adventure!"

This is me, waving my ticket and running through the airport at an ungodly hour of the morning after my departing plane. via

By the time you read this I will be on a plane to Melbourne, whither, having risen well before the break of day to catch my 7:35am flight (ugh! whatever possessed me!) I am travelling to spend two weeks with old friends, during which I will be taking a delightful little break from my thesis (hooray!) and also from blogging. So I will 'see' you all again towards the end of the month. As consolation for my absence (ha), I leave you with one of JRR Tolkien's inimitable travelling songs. Au revoir!


Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell
In glades beneath the misty fell,
Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
And whither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,      [Well not quite.]
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,       [I hope not!]
Until at last our toil be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
We ride before the break of day!         [Too right we do. I am still rubbing sleep out of my eyes.]

JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 5, "A Conspiracy Unmasked."


"Don't worry about me, I'm a Kiwi. Have passport, will travel."

No comments:

Post a Comment