Friday 4 March 2016

World Book Day

 "Painfully to pore upon a book
To seek the light of truth."
 - Shakespeare, Love's Labour's Lost 

"Knowing I loved my books, he furnished me
From mine own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom."
- Shakespeare, The Tempest 

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading." - Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
 
4th March is apparently World Book Day. Well, what d'ya know! The Telegraph has a list of 20 novels everyone 'should' read for the day (I can only tick off a mere 11).

However, being an English student, I do read quite a bit... some of my favourite books (in no particular order) are:


Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by the Pearl Poet
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Shirley by ditto
Jane Austen's novels (especially Emma and P&P
Middlemarch by Virginia Woolf
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín
The Collected Works of William Shakespeare :D
Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
Translations by Brian Friel
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
Frost in May by Antonia White
Cider With Rosie by Laurie Lee
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The York Mystery Plays by... well, I wish I knew; if I did my academic career would be guaranteed ;)

Leave a comment and tell me some of your favourite books!

(NB: because of the Blogger 'comment moderation' function your comments may take a few hours to appear after you click 'publish'.)

1 comment:

  1. Daddy's choices:

    The Divine Comedy by Dante
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
    Love in the Time of Cholera by ditto
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

    ReplyDelete