Friday 16 October 2015

Postscript to Pigsney

If you read right to the end of my pigsney post, I am very impressed :D

Quite by chance I recently came across another example of the word, in the anonymous sixteenth-century poem "My Sweet Sweeting:"

She is so proper and so pure,
Full stedfast, stabill and demure,
There is none such, ye may be sure,
               As my swete swetyng.

In all thys world, as thynketh me,
Is none so plesaunt to my e'e,                     [eye]
That I am glad soo ofte to see,
               As my swete swetyng.

When I behold my swetyng swete,
Her face, her hands, her minion fete,         [little feet] 
They seme to me there is none so mete,
              As my swete swetyng.

Above all other prayse must I,
And love my pretty pygsnye,
For none I fynd so womanly
              As my swete swetyng.

In Come Hither: A Collection of Rhymes & Poems for the Young of All Ages, ed. Walter de la Mare (London: Constable and Co., 1962), 35.

This example is not cited in the OED, which is why I missed it earlier. 

But while we're on the topic of the OED, here's a little interesting fact for Tolkien readers: did you know that his first job after serving in WWI was working on the dictionary? 

No comments:

Post a Comment